- Anemia (5)
- Arthritis (2)
- Diseases (183)
- Cancer (18)
- Infections (2)
- Men's Health (2)
- Syndromes (5)
- Women's Health (1)
- The Benefits of Flaxseed Oil
- Do You Know What You’re Up Against?
- How to Keep and Maintain an Erection
- Corneal Ulcer
- Coronary Artery Disease (See also Angina and Myocardial Infarction)
- Crohn’s Disease (Regional Enteritis)
- Cushing’s Syndrome
- Cystic Fibrosis
- Cysts (Dermoid, Epidermal, Sebaceous)
- Decubitus Ulcer (Pressure Sore, Bedsore)
- A reduction in the number of circulating red blood cells resulting from bone marrow failure and generally accompanied by agranulocytosis and/or thrombocytopenia.
Causes and Incidence The etiology is unknown in half of diagnosed cases; the other half are induced by chemicals, drugs, viruses, or radiation. The incidence is low.
Disease Process Exposure to a known or unknown toxin depresses production of erythrocytes, platelets, and granulocytes in the bone marrow. Common toxins include ionizing radiation, chemical agents (e.g., benzene, DDT, carbon tetrachloride), and drugs (e.g., antitumor or antimicrobial agents).
Symptoms The onset is usually insidious, occurring weeks or months after exposure to the toxin. Fatigue, weakness, dyspnea, and waxy pallor of the skin and mucous membranes are characteristic. Thrombocytopenia causes hemorrhage into mucous membranes, skin, and optic fundi. Agranulocytosis leads to severe infection.
Potential Complications Chronic anemia leads to increasing hemorrhage and repeated infections, which result in death in about half of those diagnosed.
Complete blood count (CBC)
Decreased RBCs (normochromic, normocytic), WBCs, and hemoglobin (Hgb)
Bone marrow biopsy
Hypocellular/hypoplastic; fatty, fibrous tissue
Surgery – None.
Drugs – Corticosteroids to stimulate granulocyte production; antibiotics for infection; androgens to stimulate bone marrow.
Removal of causative agent; bone marrow transplant from a human leukocyte antigen (HLA)-matched donor (sibling); blood transfusions; hemorrhage precautions.
Medi-Info.COM finds at this phrases
- tuberculosis disease process
- skin cancer disease process
- gastritis fundus
- tb disease process
- disease process of pulmonary tuberculosis
- emphysema disease process
No Comments »
No comments yet.
Leave a comment
You must be logged in to post a comment.